Monday, January 18, 2010

Hey girl, Magenta


"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, "hey girl, magenta!" and she's like, "oh, you mean purple!" and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, "no - I want magenta!"" (John Mayer)


I wrote about this quote a while back, and was revisiting this idea the other day. There's two new thoughts that began churning in my head.

1. I believe myself to be 64 color box, but the newsflash is it's much more relative than I'd prefer to acknowledge. Because afterall labels (even cute crayola colors like macaroni and cheese) are rarely definitive. My purple is very well another girl's magenta. I always joke that every relationship has a "smart one" and a "cute one." So maybe every relationship has a "purple" and a "magenta"??? I still want magenta so maybe I'll have to be comfortable being someone's purple....I'm usually pretty happy being the cute one so it's not too far of a jump. ;)

2. The real kick in the teeth is once you have magenta you're fucking screwed for life. I was lucky enough to get one at the infant stages of my dating career, and I've had a couple since. It makes dating easy and extremely difficult at the same time. On the one hand I can very easily identify the purples and move on. On the other hand it hard-core spoiled my ass. I compare it to DVR . Now that I can watch the Golden Globes and skip the boring categories, commercials, and speeches by people I care nothing about why would I ever want to watch it in real time ever again??

Sidenote: Yay for Glee and Madmen two of my favorites for winning their categories at the Golden Globes last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment